Share the story of The Day I Found Out
The day you found out you had cancer can be one of the hardest days of your life. But it's not the last. Share your “day I found out” story and return the hope you have to spare with those who need it now.
Three Simple Steps
Step 1: Create your video.
The video should start with the date of diagnosis (or month and year): “It was April 13, 2004...”
Here are some starter questions:
- Did you suspect something was wrong? Did you see a doctor right away?
- How did you react to the news? How did your family?
- How did you decide on a treatment plan?
- Did you have an emotional turning point?
- Who or what helped or inspired you?
- Did cancer inspire you to get involved with a movement or organization?
- What would you have done differently?
- What advice would you give to someone who’s just been diagnosed?
While we encourage you to mention your cancer-related projects in your video, the main focus should be on your personal story.
Step 2: Upload your video.
You must have a YouTube/Google account to upload a video. If you don’t have an account, you can create a YouTube account here.
Once you have an account, follow the Share Your Story link on this page to get started. From there, you can upload a new video, or you can select one that you’ve already uploaded to YouTube.
Step 3: Title, describe, and tag your video
Each title must include:
- The phrase "The Day I Found Out"
- Your name, your handle, or the title of your video. If your video is about a loved-one, you may want to include or substitute their name.
- The actual day (or at least the month and year) you were diagnosed.
Provide a short description of your video here. This is also the place where you can put links. Links must be in this format: http://www.yourwebsite.com. Links without the http:// won't be clickable.
Example of a description: Jane Doe - The day I found out I had lobular breast cancer. I was treated at the Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com. If you're interested, I also have a blog http://www.janedoecancerblog.com
Tags are the search words visitors will enter to find your video. Separate tags with spaces, and put quotes around tags that are more than one word. Be sure to include the kind of cancer you were diagnosed with. Your video must include the following tags:
- The phrase "The Day I Found Out" (in quotes)
- One or more of the following cancer type tags: AIDS-related, breast, digestive/gastrointestinal, endocrine, eye, genitourinary, "germ cell", gynecologic, "head and neck", hematologic/blood, musculoskeletal, neurological, respiratory/thoracic, skin, "unknown primary".
We encourage you to list your specific kind of cancer as well. Other possible tags include your name, your treatment center, your geographical location, treatment types, and hobbies and interests.
Examples of tags: "The Day I Found Out" lobular breast cancer "breast cancer" "lobular breast cancer" "Mayo Clinic" chemotherapy "young adult" running Jane Doe" "Jane Margaret Doe" Jane Newark "New Jersey"
4. Your Use of This Website.
(a) TDIFO.com is for the personal use of its users only and may not be used in connection with any commercial endeavors except those that are specifically endorsed or approved by TDIFO.com. You shall not collect or harvest any personally identifiable information, including users' names. Appropriate legal action will be taken for any illegal or unauthorized use of the website.
(b) TDIFO.com does not offer technical support for any third party software.
5. Limited License.
Subject to these Terms, you may use the Services, including accessing and viewing content from this website on your computer or other device, submitting content, and making single copies of the content on this website for your own personal use, provided that you do not:
- Post content that is abusive, hateful, or embarrassing to any other person or entity;
- Use the Services to harm or harass anyone or any group;
- Contact anyone who has asked not to be contacted;
- Impersonate any person or entity;
- Post irrelevant content or post content in inappropriate categories;
- Post content that is directed to people younger than 13 years of age;
- Delete, otherwise revise or improperly interfere with any content posted by any other user;
- Post content that infringes or misappropriates any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other intellectual property or any privacy or publicity rights of another;
- Post content that is obscene or sexually explicit;
- Repeatedly post the same or similar content or otherwise impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on TDIFO's infrastructure;
- Employ any data-mining or data-extraction tools;
- Copy or adapt the HTML code used to generate this website;
- Attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer any of the software comprising any part of this website;
- Engage in any activity that conflicts with any obligations you have under law including contractual or fiduciary relationships;
- Interfere with or attempt to interfere with the proper working of this website;
- Circumvent, disable, or otherwise interfere with security-related features of this website;
- Violate any applicable laws, rules, or regulations in any jurisdiction;
- Access data not intended for you or log into a server or account that you are not authorized to access;
- Advertise products;
- Post chain letters, "junk mail," "spam," or pyramid schemes;
- Distribute viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or other computer programming routines or engines that are intended to damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or misappropriate any system, data or information; or
- Employ misleading email addresses or forged headers or otherwise manipulate, through identifiers, to disguise the origin of content transmitted through this website.
6. Linking to this Website.
You may link to any content on this website. If you are interested in reprinting, republishing or distributing content from TDIFO, please contact TDIFO to obtain written consent.
7. TDIFO.com's Intellectual Property.
The content on TDIFO.com, except as expressly stated herein, including, without limitation, the text, software, scripts, graphics, photos, sounds, music, videos, interactive features (hereinafter referred to as "Content") and the trademarks, service marks, and logos contained therein (hereinafter referred to as the "Marks"), are owned by or licensed by TDIFO.com, subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights under United States and foreign laws and international conventions. Content on the website is provided to you "as is" for your information and personal use only and may not be used, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed, or otherwise exploited for any other purpose whatsoever without the prior written consent of TDIFO.com, except for the limited, revocable, nonsublicenseable license to reproduce and display the Content (excluding any software code) solely for your personal use in connection with viewing the website. If you download or print a copy of the Content for personal use, you must retain all copyright and proprietary notices contained therein. TDIFO.com reserves all rights not expressly granted in and to the website and the Content. You shall not use, copy or distribute any of the Content other than expressly permitted herein. You shall not circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security related features of the website or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of any Content or enforce limitations of the use of the website or the Content.
8. User Content.
TDIFO.com may now or in the future permit the submission of text, files, images, photos, videos, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, or any other materials by you (hereinafter referred to as "User Content") and the hosting, sharing and/or publishing of such User Content. The submission, hosting, sharing and/or publishing of such User Content are made solely under the following conditions:
(a) TDIFO.com does not claim any ownership rights in User Content. After submitting User Content to TDIFO.com, you continue to retain all ownership rights in such User Content, and you continue to have the right to use your User Content in any way you choose.
(b) By submitting User Content to TDIFO.com, you hereby grant to TDIFO.com a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform the User Content in connection with TDIFO.com and its successors' businesses, including, without limitation, for promoting and redistributing part or all of the website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. The foregoing license granted by you terminates once you remove or delete User Content from TDIFO.com.
(c) Except for User Content posted by you, you may not copy, modify, translate, distribute, perform, display or sell any User Content appearing on or through TDIFO.com.
(d) TDIFO.com does not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to User Content
9. Third Party Websites.
You will defend, indemnify, and hold harmless TDIFO, its officers, directors, employees, affiliates and agents from and against any claims, losses, damages, fines, penalties or other liabilities in any way associated with: (i) your use of and access to the Services; (ii) your violation of any of these Terms; and (iii) your violation of any third party right including any copyright, trademark, trade secret, or privacy right related to your User Content (as applicable) or use of the website.
11. WARRANTY DISCLAIMER.
TDIFO.COM, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN CONNECTION WITH THE WEBSITE AND YOUR USE THEREOF. TDIFO.COM MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE WEBSITE'S CONTENT OR THE CONTENT OF ANY SITES LINKED TO THIS WEBSITE AND ASSUMES NO LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY: (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT; (II) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, IF ANY, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO TDIFO.COM; (III) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SECURE SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN; (IV) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM OUR WEBSITE; (V) ANY ERRORS IN OR OMISSIONS FROM ANY CONTENT OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA TDIFO.COM. TDIFO.COM DOES NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE ADVERTISED OR OFFERED BY A THIRD PARTY THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR ANY HYPERLINKED WEBSITE OR FEATURED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING, AND TDIFO.COM WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.
12. Limitation of Liability.
(A) IN NO EVENT WILL TDIFO.COM, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM ANY: (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT; (II) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF TDIFO.COM; (III) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SECURE SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN; (IV) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM TDIFO.COM; (V) ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH OUR WEBSITE BY ANY THIRD PARTY; AND/OR (VI) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE CONTENT OR USER CONTENT, WHETHER THEY BE EMAILED, TRANSMITTED OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE ON TDIFO.COM, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND INCLUDING LOST PROFIT DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF TDIFO.COM, EVEN IF TDIFO.COM HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE FOREGOING LIMITATION ON LIABILITY SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW IN THE APPLICABLE JURISDICTION.
(B) YOU SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT TDIFO.COM WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR USER CONTENT OR THE DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY AND THAT THE RISK OF HARM OR DAMAGE FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU.
(C) THE WEBSITE IS CONTROLLED AND OFFERED BY TDIFO.COM FROM ITS FACILITIES IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. TDIFO.COM MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS THAT THE WEBSITE IS APPROPRIATE OR AVAILABLE FOR USE IN OTHER LOCATIONS. THOSE WHO ACCESS OR USE TDIFO.COM FROM OTHER JURISDICTIONS DO SO AT THEIR OWN RISK AND ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLIANCE WITH LOCAL LAW.
You are solely responsible for your interactions with other TDIFO.com users. TDIFO.com reserves the right, but has no obligation, to monitor disputes between you and other TDIFO.com users.
If you have a dispute with one or more users, you release TDIFO (and its officers, directors, affiliates, agents, subsidiaries, joint ventures and employees) from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes.
14. Intellectual Property Policy.
(b) TDIFO.com does not endorse any User Content or any opinion, recommendation, or advice expressed therein, and TDIFO.com expressly disclaims any and all liability in connection with User Content.
(d) If you believe that your content has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, or your intellectual property rights have been otherwise violated, please provide TDIFO's Copyright Agent the following information:
DMCA Notice of Alleged Infringement ("Notice")
- Identify the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed, or if multiple works are covered by this Notice you may provide a representative list of the copyrighted works that you claim have been infringed.
- Identify the material or link you claim is infringing and provide a description of where the infringing work is located on the website.
- Provide your mailing address, telephone number and, if available, email address.
- Include both of the following statements in the body of the Notice:
- "I hereby state that I have a good-faith belief that the disputed use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law (e.g., fair use)."
- "I hereby state that the information in this Notice is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that I am the owner or authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyright or of an exclusive right under the copyright that is allegedly infringed."
- Provide your full legal name and your electronic or physical signature.
Deliver this Notice, with all items completed, to TDIFO's Designated Copyright Agent:
Attn: TDIFO Copyright Agent
1425 4th Avenue, Suite 700
Seattle, WA 98101
While TDIFO considers all such notices seriously, you may be liable for damages (including costs and attorneys' fees) if you materially misrepresent that content or activity is infringing. Accordingly, if you are uncertain whether material infringes your copyrights (including whether use of copyrighted material may constitute fair use) you may wish to seek the advice of an attorney.
18. Contact Us.
If you have questions about these Terms or the Service, you may contact TDIFO at firstname.lastname@example.org.